Thanks to a few big winners, you’d be sitting on much more money than you started with.
The hardest separate of investing in crypto is choosing which coins to buy. One manner to solve this is taking a diverse approach where you invest in several major cryptocurrencies. It ‘s like building a poise portfolio in stock investing. But does this strategy besides work with crypto investing ? To test it out, let ‘s look at how well you would ‘ve done if you spread $ 1,000 across the largest coins three years ago.
For this scenario, we ‘re looking at the results of $ 100 investments in 10 of the largest 11 cryptos as of Sept. 9, 2018. Why 10 of the top 11 ? One cryptocurrency that was in the top 10, Tether ( USDT ), was excluded because it ‘s a stablecoin designed to maintain a price of $ 1. For that reason, it ‘s not a common cryptocurrency investing. In total, this would have led to over $6,000 in gains. hera are the results for each crypto .
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $6,300.86
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $46,391.42 (+636%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $736.27
Bitcoin ( BTC ), the beginning cryptocurrency, has been a regular at the top and typically leads the crypto market. It has n’t been the biggest gainer over the final three years, but it has delivered impressive results .
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $196.92
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $3,427.34 (+1,640%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $1,740.47
Launched in 2015, Ethereum ( ETH ) quickly grew in popularity and respect. It was the first crypto to offer a programmable blockchain for developers to use. It has been the second-largest cryptocurrency for the last three years and has gained over doubly angstrom much as Bitcoin over that like timeframe.
Our top crypto play isn’t a token – Here’s why
We ’ ve found one company that ’ south positioned itself perfectly as a long-run picks-and-shovels solution for the broader crypto market — Bitcoin, Dogecoin, and all the others. In fact, you ‘ve credibly used this company ‘s engineering in the by few days, even if you ‘ve never had an account or even heard of the company earlier. That ‘s how prevailing it ‘s become. Sign up today for Stock Advisor and get entree to our exclusive reputation where you can get the full scoop on this ship’s company and its top as a long-run investment. Learn more and get started today with a special new member discount.Get started
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $0.28
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $1.09 (+289%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $389.29
XRP ( XRP ) is the native cryptocurrency for Ripple, a protocol for external payments. An SEC lawsuit against Ripple has slowed down XRP, which presently is n’t available to trade on many top cryptocurrency exchanges. however, it placid ranks in the exceed 10 by market detonator .
4. Bitcoin Cash
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $481.19
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $661.23 (+37%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $137.42
Bitcoin Cash ( BCH ) is a Bitcoin alternative with fast transaction work. It has done sanely well as an investment, but other types of cryptocurrency have done a lot better.
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $4.97
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $4.82 (-3%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $96.98
EOS ( EOS ) is a platform that focuses specifically on decentralized apps ( dApps ) for businesses. It ‘s the only cryptocurrency on this list that has lost value compared to where it was three years ago .
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $0.19
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $0.33 (+74%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $173.68
Stellar ( XLM ) is a blockchain network that offers fast transactions with minimal fees. Payments procedure in a topic of seconds and monetary value a fraction of a penny. even though it ‘s most utilitarian for money transfers, its price has besides gone up over the years .
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $54.92
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $180.38 (+228%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $328.44
Created in 2011, Litecoin ( LTC ) is one of the earliest Bitcoin alternatives offering more effective transactions. It ‘s not the most agitate cryptocurrency investment, but it tends to follow Bitcoin ‘s price movements .
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $0.08
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $2.52 (+3,050%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $3,150.00
The most successful crypto on this list is eco-friendly Cardano ( ADA ). Despite a research-based, slow-and-steady overture to growth, it has skyrocketed in price. At the clock of this writing, it ‘s the third-largest cryptocurrency .
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $106.22
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $261.43 (+146%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $277.69
Monero ( XMR ) offers transactions that are private and untraceable. That has given it a reputation as the drug trader ‘s cryptocurrency of choice, but it ‘s besides popular with everyone who values privacy in crypto .
- Price on Sept. 9, 2018: $193.36
- Price on Sept. 9, 2021: $202.43 (+5%)
- What a $100 investment would be worth now: $104.69
Dash ( DASH ) is a digital payments system that focuses on serviceability. It has n’t done much as an investment recently, but to be fair, it ‘s intended to be spent as a digital currency .
If you put $ 100 each in those 10 cryptos three years ago, your $ 1,000 investment would now be worth $ 7,134.93 — an increase of 613 %. That ‘s chiefly due to merely two cryptocurrencies. Cardano delivered about half the total gains in this scenario, and Ethereum was responsible for approximately 27 %. Bitcoin was the alone other cryptocurrency to see the kind of huge price gains investors hope for.
Cryptocurrencies are notoriously irregular, but there are a pair lessons we can take from these results :
- Building a portfolio of different cryptocurrencies is a smart approach. It’s hard to know which ones will grow the most, but by spreading your money around, you have a better chance of getting in on the biggest gainers.
- Just because a crypto is at the top of the charts doesn’t mean it’s finished growing. Cardano, Ethereum, and Bitcoin were already big three years ago, but they’ve kept building on that success.
Buy and sell crypto on an expert picked exchange
There are hundreds of platforms around the earth that are waiting to give you entree to thousands of cryptocurrencies. And to find the one that ‘s veracious for you, you ‘ll need to decide what features that matter most to you.
To help you get started, our independent experts have sifted through the options to bring you some of our best cryptocurrency exchanges for 2022. Check out the list hera and get started on your crypto travel, today .