UNCTAD’s Work Programme on International Investment Agreements (IIAs) actively assists policymakers, government officials and other IIA stakeholders to reform IIAs with a view to making them more conducive to sustainable development and inclusive growth.
International investment rulemaking is taking place at the bilateral, regional, interregional and multilateral levels. It requires policymakers, negotiators, civil society and other stakeholders to be well informed about foreign direct investment, international investment agreements (IIAs) and their impact on sustainable development.
Main goals of UNCTAD’s Work Programme on IIAs
• Reform the international investment agreements (IIAs) regime to enhance its sustainable development dimension,
• Provide comprehensive analysis on key issues arising from the complexity of the international investment regime,
• Develop a wide range of tools to support the formulation of more balanced international investment policies.
The three pillars of activities
• Research and policy analysis: monitoring trends, identifying key emerging issues and providing cutting-edge knowledge on IIAs from a sustainable development perspective,
• Technical assistance: delivering trainings, seminars and workshops; conducting IIA and model BIT reviews; offering ad-hoc advice to strengthen the capacity of beneficiaries in handling the complexities of the IIA regime,
• Intergovernmental consensus-building: exchanging and sharing best practices and experience with the view to fostering global investment governance.
For further information, please contact us via the online contact form.
This database of IIAs – the IIA Navigator – is maintained by UNCTAD’s IIA Section. You can browse through IIAs concluded by a particular country or country grouping, view recently concluded IIAs, or use the Advanced Treaty Search for sophisticated searches tailored to your needs.
Please cite as: UNCTAD, International Investment Agreements Navigator, available at https://investmentpolicy.unctad.org/international-investment-agreements/
IIA Mapping Project
The IIA Mapping Project is a collaborative initiative between UNCTAD and universities worldwide to map the content of IIAs. The resulting database serves as a tool to understand trends in IIA drafting, assess the prevalence of different policy approaches and identify treaty examples.
The “Mapping of IIA Content” allows browsing through the project results to date (the page is regularly updated as the new results come in).
Please cite as: UNCTAD, Mapping of IIA Content, available at https://investmentpolicy.unctad.org/international-investment-agreements/iia-mapping
For more information:
Mapping Project page
Project Description & Methodology document