Recognised stock exchanges

What is a ‘recognised stock exchange’

The term ‘recognised stock exchange’ occurs throughout the Taxes Acts and in various tax regulations. For example, it’s used in the definition of investments which may be held in Individual Savings Accounts and in the qualifying criteria for the quoted Eurobond exemption. Recognised stock exchange legislation is found under S1005 Income Tax Act (ITA) 2007.

HMRC will consider the designation of a stock exchange as a recognised stock exchange under S1005 ITA 2007 on receipt of a request made by a stock exchange. The fact that a particular exchange is not recognised may simply mean that recognition has not been requested.

Read more about stock exchanges recognised by HMRC

View tables of recognised stock exchanges

By email

Email any queries about recognised stock exchanges to

HMRC will normally reply to you by email, if that is your chosen communications method. However, the security of email cannot be guaranteed so it’s important for you to consider whether the risk of these email exchanges being intercepted is acceptable to you.

If you do not want HMRC to reply to your original message by email, state this clearly and supply alternative contact details so that we can contact you in writing or by telephone.

HMRC cannot access emails marked ‘Private’. If you have sent your enquiry this way, resend as ‘Normal’.

In writing

You can write to HMRC at the following address:

Ian Provan

HM Revenue and Customs


Edinburgh Regional Centre

Queen Elizabeth House

1 Sibbald Walk



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: